LOCAL SIGHTSEEING IN GANGTOK
1. Tashi View point: view of Mt Kanchendzonga (sunrise).
2. Ganeshtok: bird eye view of Gangtok town, sacred place of worship.
3. Himalayan zoological park: (habitat for 28 different type of animals).
4. Hanuman tok: place of worship (view of mountain range in serene atmosphere).
5. Bagthang waterfall: waterfall on the way to Tashi View point.
6. Institute of Handicraft: (hand woven woolen carpets, exquisitely carved table, traditional gift items).
7. DO-Drul chorten: stupa built in 1945.
8. Namgyal Institute of Tibetology: vast collection of rare Lepcha, Tibetan,Sanskrit manuscripts, statues and Thankas.
9. Gangtok Ropeway: scenic view of gangtok and the adjoining valley.
10. Rumtek Dharma Chakra Centre: replica of Tsurphu Monastery, in Tibet.
At a distance of 24 kms, a short drive from Gangtok is the Rumtek Dharma Charma Chakra Centre. It was constructed by His Holiness the late 16th Gyalwa Karmapa in 1960. It is believed that the monastery is an excellent replica of the original Kagyurpa Monastery inTsurphu, Tibet.
The centre houses some of the world's most unique religious scriptures, manuscripts and religious art objects. A fifteen minute walk downhill from Dharma Chakra Center takes one to the old Rumtek monastery which was originally built in 1730 by the ninth Karmapa but was destroyed by fire and had to be reconstructed to the present state. His Holiness late Gyalwa Karmapa lived in this monastery till the completion of the Rumtek Dharma Chakra Center.
11. Zurmang Kagyud monastery: a place worth visiting for its religious and exquisite architecture with a tranquil atmosphere.
12. Ban Jhankri Energy Park: tradition culture fused with modern amenities.
13. Flowershow : a show of exquisite orchids, rhododendrons and wild flowers.
*The sightdeeing can be arranged according to time and interest. some of the popular ones are as follows: